Apply or Nominate a School
Dependent on capacity, we love to enroll new school into the program, and extend our impact to more students and charities across Canada. Applications for 2023-24 are now open.
How do I bring YPI to my school? Follow these three easy steps for teachers:
All new schools and teachers approved and enrolled in the YPI Program will receive full program resources, and ongoing staff support to run the program during the school year.
Please review the listed requirements below before you enroll to ensure that your school can meet these obligations:
- YPI will be taught in all classes of one mandatory course across one chosen grade/year level – suggested Grades 9 or 10 .
- 100% of all students across the grade level must participate. This is a requirement in order to ensure inclusivity for all students.
- Your school’s YPI Lead Teacher will be the main point of contact for YPI communications and will provide updates on your school’s YPI project upon request throughout the year .
- YPI will be delivered over the course of at least four weeks (in each class), using/adapting the lessons in the provided YPI curriculum guide .
- Charity site visits are a requirement of YPI. Your school will permit/support students to make off-campus site visits to their chosen charities.
- Charities are to be identified and selected by students, and must meet the YPI eligibility requirements: registered Canadian charity. providing social services directly to people in your local community.
- A Final Presentations Assembly will be arranged in each school to permit finalist teams from each class to give their presentation to an audience and a panel of judges. We recommend a minimum of one entire grade level for the audience.
- The Final judging panel must be composed of a majority of students to ensure peer-to-peer review and equitable judging.
Things to Consider
As you determine whether or not YPI will be a good fit for your school, consider the following:
- Do you have the support of a school administrator who will be able to authorize your school’s participation in YPI?
- Will YPI be able to be offered to an entire grade level at the school?
- Will other teachers and colleagues be committed to the program as well?
- What school-wide goals/priorities/values align with YPI?
- What other experiential learning/community engagement programs/initiatives are offered at your school?
- In what ways does your school currently interact with charities and other community organizations?
- Am I going to be the Lead Teacher at my school?