Apply or Nominate a School
YPI is growing and we’re excited to bring on new schools, and extend our impact to more students and charities across Canada. Applications for the 2018-2019 school year are still open, so get in touch with us soon!
Want to bring YPI to your school?
KNOW A SCHOOL THAT WOULD LOVE TO PARTICIPATE?
Teachers will receive introductory training, full program resources, and ongoing staff support to run YPI, but before we enroll a new school, we need to be sure the following program requirements can be met.
- YPI will be taught in all classes of one mandatory course across one chosen grade/year level: 9 or 10.
- Your school’s YPI Lead Teacher will be the main point of contact for YPI communications, and will provide updates on your school’s YPI project upon request throughout the year.
- YPI will be delivered over the course of at least four weeks (in each class), using/adapting the lessons in the provided YPI curriculum guide.
- Charity site visits are a requirement of YPI. Your school will permit/support students to make off-campus site visits to their chosen charities.
- Charities are to be identified and selected by students, and must meet the YPI eligibility requirements: registered charity providing social services directly to people in your local community.
- A Final Presentations Assembly will be arranged to permit finalist teams to give their presentation to an audience and a panel of judges. Minimum recommendation for audience: one entire grade level. Judging panel must have a majority of students.
*In a school’s first year, a minimum of 50% of the grade/year level should participate; in every year moving forward, all students in the grade/year level should participate. This is in order to be inclusive to all students.
What to Prepare
You will need the support of a school administrator who will be able to authorize your school’s participation in YPI. At the bottom of this page, you’ll find a downloadable guide you can share with your administrative team and department colleagues.
Along with some basic information about your school (address, contact information, etc.) the YPI application form will ask a series of short answer questions about where our program would fit within your school’s culture and community. We encourage you to take some time to consider and discuss these questions within your department, or with your administrators/school leadership before you get started on the application form.
- What school-wide goals/priorities/values align with YPI?
- What are some student outcomes you would hope to see as a result of participating in YPI?
- What other experiential learning/social justice/community engagement programs/initiatives are offered at your school?
- What does student/youth voice mean to you as an educator? How does your school engage youth in decision-making?
- In what ways does your school currently interact with charities and other community organizations?
- In your opinion, what social issues are currently most pressing in your school’s surrounding community?
- Additional comments/questions/considerations.
Prospective Schools Guide
You can also take a look at our guide for prospective schools to get a better idea of what to expect in the YPI program.