Enrol My School
Welcome to our “Enrol My School” page! We’re so glad you’re here. Since 2002, we have worked with hundreds of schools, and hundreds of thousands of educators and students to bring the impact of YPI to communities across Canada.
Our program model is flexible enough to work with a variety of schools – public, independent, urban, suburban, rural, big, small – and we understand that every school has its own unique culture and context. Our resources are adaptable to meet a variety of curricular expectations in courses like Civics, Careers, Social Studies, Humanities, and Religion, and our friendly program team is here to support our teachers to navigate and implement YPI in a way that meets the needs of your students.
As you explore the resources on this page, we hope that you will consider applying to participate in YPI. The proven impact of this program for students, schools, and communities is made possible through deep relationships with educators. Join us in building compassionate communities.
By challenging youth to research and advocate for local charities for a chance to win a $5000 grant, YPI engages students within their community to develop skills in teamwork, communication & critical thinking. What do people in a student’s local community really need?
YPI empowers them to find out for themselves.
When we enrol a new school, we do so in the spirit of partnership guided by shared goals and a shared commitment to your students and your community.
Our partnerships with many of our schools span 10+ years, and we commit to long-term, sustainable programming whenever we enrol a new school. Returning schools are always guaranteed a space in the program every year, as long as we have funding secured to support the grant and program support.
The YPI team provides resources and support to all educators implementing the program, maintains regular contact with educators throughout the year, and makes visits virtually and in-person when possible to as many schools as possible every year to offer student workshops, meet with teams of educators, and support YPI event.
Over 18,000 students per year build life-long skills and interest in civic engagement.
Through your school’s partnership with YPI Canada, all participating teachers will be provided with a fully resourced, curriculum-aligned lesson plan and student assignment package, as well as training and ongoing support from professional staff by phone, email, video conference, and virtual workshops.
Enrolment is free for public schools and includes a $5,000 grant for your students to award to a local charity. The program is free for independent/private schools; and they participate in a grant-share partnership with YPI, providing $2,500 toward their school’s charity grant.
In turn, schools must agree to the following program requirements to enrol in YPI programming, which are current for 2021/2022 and include continued COVID adaptations:
- YPI will be taught as a project in any mandatory course in grade 9 or 10, with a minimum of 50% of the classes across the grade level participating.*
- Your school’s YPI Lead Teacher will be the main point of contact for receiving and responding to YPI communications. They will participate in an orientation/training session with YPI staff before the start of your school’s YPI programming; and they will provide periodic updates on your school’s YPI project upon request throughout the year.
- All YPI Teachers must review YPI’s Student Care and Ethics Principles regarding students’ personal stories, privacy and digital imprint, permission and consent. This is to support YPI Teachers to center youth voices and experiences in ways that are respectful and ethical throughout the program.
- All YPI Teachers will use the 2021/2022 YPI Teacher Resource Guide to implement the 2021/2022 program. YPI staff will provide orientation and training on the updated guide and resources, which are available in English and French.**
- Charities selected for YPI research are to be identified and chosen by students, and they must meet YPI’s granting eligibility requirements (a registered charity providing social services directly to people in your local area).
- YPI Teachers and Authorizing Administrators will support students to engage with representatives from local charities as part of their research. Please see the note on COVID adaptations below.***
- A majority of students must be directly involved in making the final decision regarding your school’s YPI grant. During the pandemic, this could involve an in-person or online student vote, a digital showcase, a judging panel with majority students separate from a YPI Final Assembly, or a traditional YPI Final where in-person gathering is permitted.
*Starting in their second year, participating schools must implement YPI in 100% of classes across any mandatory course (schools may start with 50% of their classes participating in their first year). However, the 50% participation rate is an exception that is being offered to all schools during COVID, and this will extend through the 2021/2022 academic year. Please request a phone call with YPI staff if you would like to discuss a different type of participation exception for your school. The 100% participation requirement is to support inclusion of all students across the grade level.
**The YPI Teacher Resource Guide will be made available to all participating schools in the Fall. Teachers may select resources/activities that are relevant to their curriculum, and supplement with additional material as needed.
***Always follow your local public health regulations. Under ordinary circumstances, YPI students engage with local charities most often through site visits and interviews; however direct contact with charities is currently not encouraged, both to adhere to public health regulations, as well as to respect the acute needs of charities, many of whom are currently short staffed, underfunded, and busier than ever. In lieu of this type of direct engagement, during COVID we recommend that students use online resources to research their chosen charities, followed by a thank you letter to the charity. (Resources are included in the Teacher Resource Guide).
Frequently Asked Questions
We’re always happy to hear from schools who want to bring YPI to their students. We are currently accepting applications from middle schools and high schools (YPI is typically offered through a grade 9 and 10 curricular course).
YPI programming and resources are provided free of charge to all participating schools. Independent schools are asked to participate in YPI’s grant-matching program, in which the school commits to providing half of the $5,000 grant that is ultimately directed to a local social service charity in the school’s community, as selected by participating students.
YPI is an inclusive educational experience, helping students learn that everyone can make a difference in their communities. In mandatory courses, every student has access to YPI’s experiential learning model, school culture is influenced across student cohorts, and the impact of your students’ social engagement grows for your community as a whole.
The recipient of a $5000 grant YPI grant is decided at each participating school’s YPI Final by a panel of judges (made up of a majority of youth). YPI Finals are held after an initial round of classroom-level presentations.
YPI Canada sends grant cheques directly to the winning charities in the summer following the school year.
There are a variety of resources available to support you once your school is enrolled in YPI, including our robust Teacher Resource Guide with suggested activities, assignments and student resources; phone and email support for all teachers throughout the year; and interactive student workshops (virtual and in-person options) facilitated by the YPI Canada team.
Sign up for updates
Receive a downloadable guide about YPI, and occasional updates with more resources & materials to help understand the program.
Download the guide
This print-friendly guide outlines the YPI program and application process for new schools.
Book a call
Speak with a member of the YPI Program Team, and get your questions answered.
Ready to apply? Complete the online application form today.
Share this page with An Administrator or Colleague
Upcoming Info Sessions
We will be scheduling virtual information sessions starting in 2021 – check back for updates!